45 Chris Gardner Quotes On The Pursuit Of Happiness
Are you looking for the best Chris Gardner quotes on success and the pursuit of happiness?
Chris Gardner is an American businessman, investor, stockbroker, motivational speaker, author, and philanthropist who, during the early 1980s, struggled with homelessness while raising his toddler son, Christopher Gardner Jr.
In 2006, Gardner published his book of memoirs, The Pursuit Of Happyness. In the same year, The Pursuit Of Happyness movie was also released telling Chris Gardner’s inspirational story based on the book, with Will Smith portraying Chris Gardner.
Though it’s been over a decade I still remember the release of the movie and taking my mum to the cinema to watch it with me. It’s one of those movies I can watch over and over again and it still continues to inspire me.
In this collection of inspirational Chris Gardner quotes you’ll find his best quotes on success and the pursuit of happiness, including his famous quote from The Pursuit Of Happyness by Will Smith.
Chris Gardner Quotes about Success & Happiness
1. “You can only depend on yourself. The cavalry ain’t coming.” – Chris Gardner
2. “The future was uncertain, absolutely, and there were many hurdles, twists, and turns to come, but as long as I kept moving forward, one foot in front of the other, the voices of fear and shame, the messages from those who wanted me to believe that I wasn’t good enough, would be stilled.” – Chris Gardner
3. “Wealth can also be that attitude of gratitude with which we remind ourselves everyday to count our blessings.” – Chris Gardner
4. “Then again, what seems like nothing in the eyes of the world, when properly valued and put to use, can be among the greatest riches.” – Chris Gardner
5. “Don’t ever let someone tell you, you can’t do something. You got a dream, you got to protect it. People can’t do something themselves, they want to tell you you can’t do it. You want something, go get it. Period.” – Chris Gardner (This is the famous quote from The Pursuit of Happyness)
6. “(The movie) is the story of my life, but it’s not about me. It’s about anybody who ever dreamed big and had someone tell them, ‘No, you can’t do it.’ You can.” – Chris Gardner
7. “Claim ownership of your dreams.” – Chris Gardner
8. “There is no plan B for passion.” – Chris Gardner
9. “There was a language specific to all things. The ability to learn another language in one arena, whether it was music, medicine, or finance, could be used to accelerate learning and other arenas, too.” – Chris Gardner
10. “The secret to success: find something you love to do so much, you can’t wait for the sun to rise to do it all over again.” – Chris Gardner (One of my favourite Chris Gardner quotes on success. What’s yours? Comment below.)
11. “One of the things young people always ask me about is what is the secret to success. The secret is there is no secret. It’s the basics. Blocking and tackling.” – Chris Gardner
12. “Sizing up succinctly his lack of formal education compared with his determination to learn from others, the author writes, “I went to college with every person I ever met.”” – Chris Gardner
13. “I was late once and it cost me $50,000. I figure it was cheaper to wear two watches.” – Chris Gardner
14. “You know how mountains get moved? Everyone who can move a couple, move a couple. Those who can move rocks, move rocks. Those who can move boulders, move boulders. That’s how mountains get moved. If every one of us did everything we could, I believe we would be in a different world.” – Chris Gardner
15. “Find something that you love. Something that gets you so excited you can’t wait to get out of bed in the morning. Forget about money. Be happy.” – Chris Gardner
16. “Walk that walk and go forward all the time. Don’t just talk that talk, walk it and go forward. Also, the walk didn’t have to be long strides; baby steps counted too. Go forward.” – Chris Gardner
17. “I just wanted to make a million dollars. But I couldn’t sing and I couldn’t play ball, so I said to my mother, ‘How am I going to make a million dollars?’ And she said to me, ‘Son, if you believe you can do it, you will.'” – Chris Gardner
18. “It’s okay to fail; it’s not okay to quit.” – Chris Gardner
19. “Do something that you love. Whatever you’re going to do is going to be tough enough. Find something that gets you so excited that the sun can’t come up early enough in the morning because you want to go do your thing.” – Chris Gardner
20. “It can be done, but you have to make it happen.” – Chris Gardner
21. “The balance in your life is more important than the balance in your checking account.” – Chris Gardner
22. “Though my mom had too many of her own dreams denied, deferred and destroyed, she instilled in me that I could have dreams. And not just have dreams but had a responsibility to make them reality. My mom taught me from a very early age that I could do anything I wanted to do.” – Chris Gardner
23. “The world is your oyster. It’s up to you to find the pearls.” – Chris Gardner
24. “I was homeless, but I wasn’t hopeless. I knew a better day was coming.” – Chris Gardner
25. “The money thing will come. I know so many people who have so much more money than I. They are miserable. It is so important to be happy.” – Chris Gardner
26. “Do something that makes you happy and makes you feel good about yourself.” – Chris Gardner
27. “As busy as I am wherever I am, I try to get out and walk the streets, to remember how far I’ve come and appreciate every baby step of the way.” – Chris Gardner
28. “Do something that makes you feel your work is significant and meaningful. If you just want to make money, that’s a whole different trip. I can’t help you with that.” – Chris Gardner
29. “No matter how much money is involved or no matter how easy it is for you to do, if you’re not happy, you are nothing more than a slave to your talent and money.” – Chris Gardner
30. “Hunker down, strap in, and hold on. Hold on baby!” – Chris Gardner
31. “We all understand genetics. You get your eyes from your dad, your mom’s nose, there’s nothing you can do about that. But your spiritual genetics you can choose, pick, embrace and commit to. That’s what I did.” – Chris Gardner
32. “If you believe you can do it, you will.” – Chris Gardner
33. “Baby steps count, as long as you are going forward. You add them all up, and one day you look back and you’ll be surprised.” – Chris Gardner
34. “Start where you are.” – Chris Gardner
35. “If you don’t take the necessary steps to make them happen, dreams are just mirages that mess with your head.” – Chris Gardner
36. “I am strong because I’ve been weak. I am fearless because I’ve been afraid. I am wise because I’ve been foolish.” – Chris Gardner
37. “The most inspiring leaders are not those who do their job but those who pursue a calling.” – Chris Gardner
38. “Ready or not, tell yourself to jump.” – Chris Gardner
39. “Your struggle is not an excuse, it’s your ammunition.” – Chris Gardner
40. “Others may question your credentials, your papers, your degrees. Others may look for all kinds of ways to diminish your worth. But what is inside you no one can take from you or tarnish. This is your worth, who you really are, your degree that can go with you wherever you go, that you bring with you the moment you come into a room, that can’t be manipulated or shaken. Without that sense of self, no amount of paper, no pedigree, and no credentials can make you legit. No matter what, you have to feel legit inside first.” – Chris Gardner
41. “Strong people stand up for themselves, the strongest people stand up for others.” – Chris Gardner
42. “Make your vision larger than yourself.” – Chris Gardner
43. “It’s your responsibility to pursue what matters.” – Chris Gardner
44. “You have to be bold because there will be folks who will say, “You can’t” or “You shouldn’t” or “Why?” There is a certain boldness to saying, “Well, I really don’t want to be a high-powered corporate lawyer. I’m really passionate about painting.”” – Chris Gardner
45. “Every finish line is the beginning of a new race.” – Chris Gardner
Did you like these inspirational quotes?
What are your favourite Chris Gardner quotes? Let me know in the comments and please share this post to help and inspire others.
Aug 8, 2020 at 2:18 pm
Thanks riz, that was truly inspiring.