Looking for the best quotes from The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho?
Paulo Coelho’s novel, The Alchemist, is a global phenomenon. Surprisingly Coelho was able to write the entire book in only two weeks back in 1987. He explained that he was able to write at this pace because the story was “already written in his soul.”
Although it wasn’t an instant success, The Alchemist eventually went on to become a bestselling self-help book, selling over 62 million copies and topping the bestseller lists in 74 countries worldwide.
The Alchemist tells the story of an Andalusian shepherd boy named Santiago who starts a journey in search of a worldly treasure at the Egyptian pyramids after having a recurring dream. The young shepherd’s adventure ends with him finding more riches than he ever hoped for.
The advice given Santiago that “when you really want something to happen, the whole universe will conspire so that your wish comes true” is the core of the novel’s philosophy.
His journey teaches us to find and fulfil our destiny, to follow our hearts and dreams and to always seize the opportunities life offers us in the pursuit of what makes us happy.
Millions have been inspired by many Paulo Coelho quotes and these quotes from The Alchemist are no different. The Alchemist quotes here are packed full of lessons and wisdom for your very own journey of success.
Inspirational Quotes From The Alchemist
1. “It’s the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary; only wise men are able to understand them.”
2. “You will never be able to escape from your heart. So it’s better to listen to what it has to say. That way, you’ll never have to fear an unanticipated blow.
3. “People are capable, at any time in their lives, of doing what they dream of.”
4. “Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”
5. “One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.”
6. “It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.”
7. “When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
8. “Every blessing ignored becomes a curse.”
9. “When you are loved, you can do anything in creation. When you are loved, there’s no need at all to understand what’s happening, because everything happens within you.”
10. “When we love, we always strive to become better than we are.”
11. “Don’t give in to your fears. If you do, you won’t be able to talk to your heart.”
12. “If you start out by promising what you don’t even have yet, you’ll lose your desire to work toward getting it.”
13. “No matter what he does, every person on earth plays a central role in the history of the world. And normally he doesn’t know it.”
14. “There is only one way to learn. It’s through action. Everything you need to know you have learned through your journey.”
15. “When each day is the same as the next, it’s because people fail to recognize the good things that happen in their lives every day that the sun rises.”
16. “Love never keeps a man from pursuing his Personal Legend.”
17. “Intuition is really a sudden immersion of the soul into the universal current of life, where the histories of all people are connected, and we are able to know everything, because it’s all written there.”
18. “Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself, and no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams.”
19. “To realize one’s destiny is a person’s only real obligation.”
20. “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”
21. “When you possess great treasures within you, and try to tell others of them, seldom are you believed.”
22. “Before a dream is realized, the Soul of the World tests everything that was learned along the way. It does this not because it is evil, but so that we can, in addition to realizing our dreams, master the lessons we’ve learned as we’ve moved toward that dream. That’s the point at which most people give up. It’s the point at which, as we say in the language of the desert, one ‘dies of thirst just when the palm trees have appeared on the horizon.’”
23. “People need not fear the unknown if they are capable of achieving what they need and want.”
24. “The darkest hour of the night came just before the dawn.”
25. “I don’t live in either my past or my future. I’m interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present, you’ll be a happy man… Life will be a party for you, a grand festival, because life is the moment we’re living now.”
26. “A grain of sand is a moment of creation, and the universe has taken millions of years to create it.”
27. “All things are one.”
28. “At a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what’s happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate. That’s the world’s greatest lie.”
29. “Listen to your heart. It knows all things, because it came from the Soul of the World, and it will one day return there.”
30. “Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure. You’ve got to find the treasure, so that everything you have learned along the way can make sense.”
31. “I’m like everyone else — I see the world in terms of what I would like to see happen, not what actually does.”
32. “Everything that happens once can never happen again. But everything that happens twice will surely happen a third time.”
33. “People are afraid to pursue their most important dreams, because they feel that they don’t deserve them or that they’ll be unable to achieve them.”
34. “The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times.”
35. “When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will carry him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision.”
36. “Everyone on earth has a treasure that awaits him.”
37. “We are travellers on a cosmic journey, stardust, swirling and dancing in the eddies and whirlpools of infinity. Life is eternal. We have stopped for a moment to encounter each other, to meet, to love, to share. This is a precious moment. It is a little parenthesis in eternity.”
38. “Everyone, when they are young, knows what their Personal Legend is. At that point in their lives, everything is clear and everything is possible. They are not afraid to dream and to yearn for everything they would like to see happen to them in their lives. But as time passes, a mysterious force begins to convince them that it will be impossible for them to realize their Personal Legend.”
39. “All you have to do is contemplate a simple grain of sand, and you will see in it all the marvels of creation.”
40. “Intense, unexpected suffering passes more quickly than suffering that is apparently bearable; the latter goes on for years and, without our noticing, eats away at our soul, until, one day, we are no longer able to free ourselves from the bitterness and it stays with us for the rest of our lives.”
41. “Life doesn´t come with any guarantees. You have to risk it to get the biscuit.”
42. “When you can’t go back, you have to worry only about the best way of moving forward.”
43. “The existence of this world is simply a guarantee that there exists a world that is perfect. God created the world so that, through its visible objects, men could understand his spiritual teachings and the marvels of his wisdom.”
44. “Most people see the world as a threatening place, and, because they do, the world turns out, indeed, to be a threatening place.”
45. “We are afraid of losing what we have, whether it’s our life or our possessions and property. But this fear evaporates when we understand that our life stories and the history of the world were written by the same hand.”
46. “The secret is here in the present. If you pay attention to the present, you can improve upon it. And, if you improve on the present, what comes later will also be better. Forget about the future, and live each day according to the teachings, confident that God loves his children. Each day, in itself, brings with it an eternity.”
47. “When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too.”
48. “Imagine if everyone went around transforming lead into gold. Gold would lose its value. It’s only those who are persistent, and willing to study things deeply, who achieve the Master Work.”
49. “To do that successfully, I must have no fear of failure. It was my fear of failure that first kept me from attempting the Master Work. Now, I’m beginning what I could have started ten years ago. But I’m happy at least that I didn’t wait twenty years.”
50. “Never stop dreaming.”
Did you enjoy these inspirational quotes?
What are your favorite quotes from The Alchemist? Let me know in the comments below and please share this post.
37 Rosa Parks Quotes To Stand Up For Your Freedom
Looking for the best Rosa Parks quotes? This collection of famous Rosa Parks quotes will help you stand up for...
87 Best George Carlin Quotes On Education, Politics & Life
Looking for the best George Carlin quotes? George Carlin was an American stand-up comedian, actor, social critic and author. He...
101 Marianne Williamson Quotes That Will Enlighten You
Looking for the best Marianne Williamson quotes? Marianne Williamson is an American author, spiritual leader, political candidate and activist. She...
Fear-setting: Why you should define your fears instead of your goals
Fear-setting is an exercise that Tim Ferriss swears by. The bestselling author of The 4 Hour Work Week says he...
Top 5 Lessons Learned After She Read 500 Self-Help Books
If you’re looking for inspiration then these days no one is suffering from a shortage of self-help reading material out...