Looking for the best Alan Sugar Quotes? Then look no further.
Alan Sugar is a British business magnate and media personality best known for the UK version of The Apprentice.
Alan Sugar rose from poverty in childhood to become a Billionaire in 2015 at the age of 68 years old.
Some noteworthy highlights include selling his consumer electronics company Amstrad to BskyB for £125M in 2007. He was also the chairman of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club for 10 years.
Below I’ve put together 67 Alan Sugar quotes that are sure to inspire and motivate any aspiring entrepreneur. Please do make sure you share them with your friends.
67 Alan Sugar Quotes
1. “Once you decide to work for yourself, you never go back to work for somebody else.” – Alan Sugar
2. “I don’t make enemies, it’s just I’m not afraid to speak my mind, which can sometimes mean people don’t like what I am saying.” – Alan Sugar
3. “Money is all right but once you have it you learn it’s not the be all and end all.” – Alan Sugar
4. “I’m a commercial person, not an academic.” – Alan Sugar
5. “The entrepreneurial instinct is in you. You can’t learn it, you can’t buy it, you can’t put it in a bottle. It’s just there and it comes out.” – Alan Sugar
6. “There’s too much of a culture that exists out there, what I call an expectancy culture, of things being provided.” – Alan Sugar
7. “In America, everybody thinks they’re an entrepreneur. That’s the problem. It’s not a title that anybody should call oneself.” – Alan Sugar
8. “I have principles and I am not going to be forced to compromise them.” – Alan Sugar
9. “The only people whose opinions I worry about are my wife, my children, and my employees.” – Alan Sugar
10. “Not everybody needs to go to university; they can get out and start working straight away.” – Alan Sugar
11. “Put your loved ones, not your profit margin, centre stage.” – Alan Sugar
12. “It’s never a good thing to be seen to be rushing to conclude a deal.” – Alan Sugar
13. “Don’t worry if you make mistakes because that’s how most people learn.” – Alan Sugar
14. “I’ve spent my business career giving good value for money, and I hope never to deviate from that ethos.” – Alan Sugar
15. “Self-belief is a critical skill for business success.” – Alan Sugar
16. “I started my business in a so-called ‘recession.’… I didn’t know what a ‘recession’ was and I didn’t care less.” – Alan Sugar
17. “I’m a great believer in solid foundations that will last – and that will serve your family, your community and, by implication, your country and future generations.” – Alan Sugar
18. “Being employed in the old-fashioned way isn’t that available any more. People have got to start thinking about doing things for themselves.” – Alan Sugar
19. “Let your opponent win something… I realised that it’s no good boxing people into a corner; if you really want to succeed, you need to let them win a little and leave them with a nice way out.” – Alan Sugar
20. “If you decide to work with a partner, make sure that you know their abilities. Also, do a bit of due diligence to see if all that glitters really is gold.” – Alan Sugar
21. “You’ve either got entrepreneurial spirit or you haven’t. It resides within you and it’s sparked off by ideas that come about through the various situations you find yourself in.” – Alan Sugar
22. “It’s a simple rule of business: no income means you have to cut and run.” – Alan Sugar
23. “I’ve been in business since I was a 12-year-old schoolkid, really. If there was an opportunity and a demand, I’d be there.” – Alan Sugar
24. “You cannot make someone into an entrepreneur, just like you can’t make someone a pop singer or an artist. It has to be in-built in you; it’s a kind of a nose for things, a smell for things, and then an instinct to do it and a focus.” – Alan Sugar
25. “My parents did their best, but not being able to have what I wanted made me determined to do something for myself – to be self-sufficient.” – Alan Sugar
26. “The commodity may be different, the environment may be different, but the presentation and selling skills are exactly the same – and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.” – Alan Sugar
27. “I’m a firm believer that, if you’ve got what it take’s you’ll have a feeling in your gut, a hunger in your belly – and you’ll know you want to be your own boss.” – Alan Sugar
28. “Having a vision is about using your imagination, it is about stretching your brain to think differently. It’s about training yourself to focus on where it is you want to go, what it is you want to achieve.” – Alan Sugar
29. “I would never be able to stay the course working for someone else.” – Alan Sugar
30. “Don’t start telling me that you’re just like me, because no one’s like me; I’m unique.” – Alan Sugar
31. “You are the only one who knows what to do with your business.” – Alan Sugar
32. “You mustn’t rely upon anyone else. It’s going to be you who defines the way forward.” – Alan Sugar
33. “You never know when something stored in your mind can come into play as far as business is concerned.” – Alan Sugar
34. “I am personally sick and tired of listening to so-called entrepreneurs complaining about how the banks and the government are not helping them in their businesses.” – Alan Sugar
35. “It’s very easy for people to blame the top man when things are no good but what you have to look deeper at is what these problems are.” – Alan Sugar
36. “You can’t learn to be an entrepreneur by reading a book. You can only find out by giving it a try.” – Alan Sugar
37. “Entrepreneurial spirit does lie buried in the subconscious of many people, and it takes day-to-day opportunities and experience in business for it to actually flourish.” – Alan Sugar
38. “If you enjoy what you do, don’t be afraid of expressing your enthusiasm. Enjoyment is infectious.” – Alan Sugar
39. “If you take care of your character, your reputation will take of itself.” – Alan Sugar
40. “Don’t try to blame the rest of the world. The blame only lies with you. Recognize that immediately.” – Alan Sugar
41. “I think it was Karl Marx who said, ‘Catch a man a fish, you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, you ruin a wonderful business opportunity.’” – Alan Sugar
42. “I fought my way out of poverty and I remain convinced that others can do likewise too.” – Alan Sugar
43. [On how to form your own successful business.] “What you need is sheer determination. Passion and great personal belief. And a slice of good luck.” – Alan Sugar
44. “To be a successful business entrepreneur, you need more than just a competitive edge. You need a hide like a rhino, the ability to operate way outside normal comfort zones, a willingness to invent the rules, and a total, utter, complete self-belief – against all odds. Self-belief is a critical skill for business success.” – Alan Sugar
45. “I started from nothing…There’s no reason on this God’s earth why someone else can’t do it in this day and age either too.” – Alan Sugar
46. “I often say that it doesn’t matter which business school you go to or what books you read, you can’t go into Boots and buy a bottle of entrepreneurial juice. Entrepreneurial spirit is something you are born with, just like a concert pianist’s talent.” – Alan Sugar
47. “I suppose the most telling thing about me is that I’ve been married to the same woman for 30 years. That’s unusual for someone as rich and successful as me. But that’s because I’ve kept the same values I had when I lived in a council house.” – Alan Sugar
48. “When I first started out, I wasn’t interested in making a million, I wasn’t thinking about getting a knighthood. It was about getting some wheels. I wanted a car – and I wanted to be independent.” – Alan Sugar
49. “Poverty is not an excuse for criminality.” – Alan Sugar
50. “Not all my early enterprises made money or got me a pat on the back.” – Alan Sugar
51. “I always say that you have to take whatever claim is being made, divide it by two and take away the first number you thought of, and then maybe you’ll get to the real situation. People are passionate about their businesses and ten to overlook certain issues which others may deem negative.” – Alan Sugar
52. “I was sick of putting money in other people’s pockets when I knew I could earn more on my own.” – Alan Sugar
53. “Your average punter see not further than finding a job and working for someone else. Business is viewed as a risk – and people are frightened to take the risk in case they fail. You will understand the buzz once you have done something on your own. In a funny way, the money takes second place.” – Alan Sugar
54. “A real successful man puts the love of his wife and children first, a real successful man’s greatest position in life is to have a great family… everything I have today is because of the love of that lady and the respect my three children have for the both of us.” – Alan Sugar
55. “I’m straight, I’m blunt, and I won’t always be popular.” – Alan Sugar
56. “I just can’t bear having to be false – talking to someone just to get something out of it, financially or socially. If you want new friends and associates, they should be just that – genuine friends and associates.” – Alan Sugar
57. “I’ve often told people that I don’t read too many books simply because I read for a living at the office.” – Alan Sugar
58. “Be a nice person. Learn to be respectful to your elders. Respect the law and don’t be a lout. Temptation is one of the worst things in life.” – Alan Sugar
59. “An entrepreneur cannot be grown; a person is born with entrepreneurial spirit within them.” – Alan Sugar
60. “You have to pay, and you can only pay if you sell and, by that, I mean make a profit, not just turnover.” – Alan Sugar
61. “You don’t need to be frightened of the media if you have no skeletons in your cupboard… The fact is… I have got nothing to hide.” – Alan Sugar
62. “You need to set aside a day per week where you divorce yourself from the day-to-day activity of your company. You must have someone inside the company who you trust. God forbid you ever got run over by a number 6 bus. Think of that person, who would have to take control and put that person in control for a day.” – Alan Sugar
63. [Rather than calling oneself an entrepreneur.] “Aspiring to be an entrepreneur is better business terminology.” – Alan Sugar
64. “That’s what successful business is all about – spotting new opportunities and exploiting them.” – Alan Sugar
65. “The family ethos was to work hard because there was no other way to get any money.” – Alan Sugar
66. “Love what you do and do what you love, otherwise you will become unhappy and self-defeating.” – Alan Sugar
67. “Learn from your mistakes, only work with people who share your vision and culture and most importantly, focus on your customer.” – Alan Sugar
Which of these Alan Sugar quotes is your favourite? Let me know in the comments below.
77 Frank Zappa Quotes On Life, Government & Music
Looking for the best collection of Frank Zappa quotes? Then look no further. Frank Zappa was an American musician, composer,...
101 Vince Lombardi Quotes To Win The Game Of Life
This collection of famous Vince Lombardi quotes is packed with wisdom from one of the greatest coaches and leaders in...
78 Abraham Maslow Quotes To Max Out Your Potential
If you’re looking to make the most of you potential then this collection of Abraham Maslow quotes will inspire and...
37 Rosa Parks Quotes To Stand Up For Your Freedom
Looking for the best Rosa Parks quotes? This collection of famous Rosa Parks quotes will help you stand up for...
87 Best George Carlin Quotes On Education, Politics & Life
Looking for the best George Carlin quotes? George Carlin was an American stand-up comedian, actor, social critic and author. He...