These Serena Williams quotes are sure to empower you.
Serena Williams holds the most Grand Slam titles in singles, doubles, and mixed doubles combined among active players and is generally regarded as one of the all-time greats of women’s tennis.
In fact the Woman Tennis Association (WTA) ranked her world No. 1 in singles on eight separate occasions between 2002 and 2017.
Serena, along with her sister Venus Williams, she is credited with ushering in a new era of power and athleticism on the women’s professional tennis tour. Together they’ve won 14 Grand Slam doubles titles and the pair are unbeaten in Grand Slam doubles finals.
Serena Williams is a highly inspirational figure who through her own experience has a lot of wisdom on strength, beauty and self-acceptance and winning on the court and in life. Check out the collection of Serena Williams quotes below.
47 Best Serena Williams Quotes
1. “I don’t like to lose — at anything… Yet I’ve grown most not from victories, but setbacks. If winning is God’s reward, then losing is how he teaches us.” – Serena Williams
2. “I think you have to love yourself before you fall in love. I’m still learning to love myself.” – Serena Williams
3. “I am lucky that whatever fear I have inside me, my desire to win is always stronger.” – Serena Williams
4. “Growing up I wasn’t the richest, but I had a rich family in spirit. Standing here with 19 championships is something I never thought would happen. I went on a court just with a ball and a racket and with a hope.” – Serena Williams
5. “Think of all the girls who could become top athletes but quit sports because they’re afraid of having too many defined muscles and being made fun of or called unattractive.” – Serena Williams
6. “I decided I can’t pay a person to rewind time, so I may as well get over it.” – Serena Williams
7. “With a defeat, when you lose, you get up, you make it better, you try again. That’s what I do in life, when I get down, when I get sick, I don’t want to just stop. I keep going and I try to do more. Everyone always says never give up but you really have to take that to heart and really do never definitely give up. Keep trying.” – Serena Williams
8. “You can be whatever size you are, and you can be beautiful both inside and out. We’re always told what’s beautiful and what’s not, and that’s not right.” – Serena Williams
9. “I always believe I can beat the best, achieve the best. I always see myself in the top position.” – Serena Williams
10. “The success of every woman should be the inspiration to another. We should raise each other up. Make sure you’re very courageous: be strong, be extremely kind, and above all be humble.” – Serena Williams
11. “I really think a champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall.” – Serena Williams
12. “You have to believe in yourself when no one else does.” – Serena Williams
13. “I’ve had to learn to fight all my life – got to learn to keep smiling. If you smile things will work out.” – Serena Williams
14. “Since I don’t look like every other girl, it takes a while to be okay with that. To be different. But different is good.” – Serena Williams
15. “Everything comes at a cost. Just what are you willing to pay for it?” – Serena Williams
16. “Luck has nothing to do with it, because I have spent many, many hours, countless hours, on the court working for my one moment in time, not knowing when it would come.” – Serena Williams
17. “I think in life you should work on yourself until the day you die.” – Serena Williams
18. “Everyone’s dream can come true if you just stick to it and work hard.” – Serena Williams
19. “I’m a perfectionist. I’m pretty much insatiable. I feel there’s so many things I can improve on.” – Serena Williams
20. “I’ve always been a fighter and I’ve always fought through things my whole life.” – Serena Williams
21. “I think a smile can make your whole body. Models, they look fabulous, but they don’t smile, and they look so mad.” – Serena Williams
22. “I love who I am, and I encourage other people to love and embrace who they are. But it definitely wasn’t easy – it took me a while.” – Serena Williams
23. “It doesn’t matter what your background is or where you come from, if you have dreams and goals, that’s all that matters.” – Serena Williams
24. “If Plan A isn’t working, I have Plan B, Plan C, and even Plan D.” – Serena Williams
25. “Don’t let anyone work harder than you do.” – Serena Williams
26. “Make sure you’re very courageous: be strong, be extremely kind, and above all be humble.” – Serena Williams
27. “Victory is very, very sweet. It tastes better than any dessert you’ve ever had.” – Serena Williams
28. “If I don’t get it right, I don’t stop until I do.” – Serena Williams
29. “Overpower. Overtake. Overcome.” – Serena Williams
30. “Is greatness winning? Is it losing? Is it recovery? It’s all of them, plus being good to yourself.” – Serena Williams
31. “You have to be fearless to have success.” – Serena Williams
32. “Your legacy is what you did with your life.” – Serena Williams
33. “I’m not a size two. It’s okay to look strong and to be sexy and to be a woman and to be unbreakable – all those things.” – Serena Williams
34. “Too often women are not supported enough or are discouraged from choosing their path. I hope together we can change that.” – Serena Williams
35. “I am who I am, I love who I am.” – Serena Williams
36. “For me, it was a question of resilience. What others marked as flaws or disadvantages about myself – my race, my gender – I embraced as fuel for my success. I never let anything or anyone define me or my potential. I controlled my future.” – Serena Williams
37. “You just have to prove to yourself that you can go out there and be the best that you can be and not prove anything to anyone.” – Serena Williams
38. “Nothing comes to a sleeper but a dream.” – Serena Williams
39. “When you lose you get up, you make it better, you try again.” – Serena Williams
40. “Being lucky takes hard work.” – Serena Williams
41. “I don’t have anything to prove ever, ever in my life. If I have something to prove, what does that mean for everyone else? And I think everyone should have that attitude.” – Serena Williams
42. “I just never give up, I fight to the end. You can’t go out and say, ‘I want a bag of never say die spirit.’ It’s not for sale. it has to be innate.” – Serena Williams
43. “You can become strong, and powerful, and beautiful.” – Serena Williams
44. “Strong is beautiful.” – Serena Williams
45. “I love my body, and I would never change anything about it. I’m not asking you to like my body. I’m just asking you to let me be me.” – Serena Williams
46. “Just believe in yourself. Even if you don’t, pretend that you do and at some point you will.” – Serena Williams
47. “There’s always another record, then there’s always another person to catch up with or to pass.” – Serena Williams
Like these Serena Williams Quotes?
Comment below with your favourite Serena Williams quote and please share this post to help and inspire others.