James Cash Penney was an American entrepreneur and founder of The J. C. Penney Company.
Starting with his first store initially called the Golden Rule Stores in 1902, there are now over 1000 JCPenney department stores across the United States and Puerto Rico.
Above and beyond his shrewd business sense, James Cash Penney had an enduring desire for fairness in his business dealings. Penney was characterized by the faith he put in his own hard work and in the potential in his employees.
He continued to serve the company on the board of directors until his death in 1971 at age 95.
I wanted to share the best James Cash Penney quotes with you because not only are they a source of inspiration but also valuable wisdom from one of the true great entrepreneurs.
James Cash Penney Quotes:
1. “Growth is never by mere chance; it is the result of forces working together.” – James Cash Penney
2. “Honor bespeaks worth. Confidence begets trust. Service brings satisfaction. Cooperation proves the quality of leadership.” – James Cash Penney
3. “I do not believe in excuses. I believe in hard work as the prime solvent of life’s problems.” – James Cash Penney
4. “The five separate fingers are five independent units. Close them and the fist multiplies strength. This is organization.” – James Cash Penney
5. “Clock watchers never seem to be having a good time.” – James Cash Penney
6. “Men are not great or small because of their material possessions. They are great or small because of what they are.” – James Cash Penney
7. “No serious-minded man should have time for the mediocre in any phase of his living.” – James Cash Penney
8. “Change is vital, improvement the logical form of change.” – James Cash Penney
9. “The keystone of successful business is cooperation. Friction retards progress.” – James Cash Penney
10th JC Penney Quote: “Every man must decide for himself whether he shall master his world or be mastered by it.” – James Cash Penney
11. “A merchant who approaches business with the idea of serving the public well has nothing to fear from the competition.” – James Cash Penney
12. “Luck is always the last refuge of laziness and incompetence.” – James Cash Penney
13. “The best teamwork comes from men who are working independently toward one goal in unison.” – James Cash Penney
14. “It is always the start that requires the greatest effort.” – James Cash Penney
15. “Success cannot come from standstill men. Methods change and men must change with them.” – James Cash Penney
16. “Salesmanship is limitless. Our very living is selling. We are all salespeople.” – James Cash Penney
17. “Responsibilities are given to him on whom trust rests. Responsibility is always a sign of trust.” – James Cash Penney
18. “The men who have furnished me with my greatest inspiration have not been men of wealth, but men of deeds.” – James Cash Penney
19. “I believe in trusting men, not only once but twice – in giving a failure another chance.” – James Cash Penney
20th JC Penney Quote: “As a rule, we find what we look for; we achieve what we get ready for.” – James Cash Penney
21. “Determine to do some thinking for yourself. Don’t live entirely upon the thoughts of others. Don’t be an automaton.” – James Cash Penney
22. “I believe a man is better anchored who has a belief in the Supreme Being.” – James Cash Penney
23. “Do not primarily train men to work. Train them to serve willingly and intelligently.” – James Cash Penney
24. “The greatest teacher I know is the job itself.” – James Cash Penney
25. “We get real results only in proportion to the real values we give.” – James Cash Penney
26. “No matter what his position or experience in life, there is in everyone more latent than developed ability; far more unused than used power.” – James Cash Penney
27. “No company can afford not to move forward. It may be at the top of the heap today but at the bottom of the heap tomorrow, if it doesn’t.” – James Cash Penney
28. “In every mans life there lies latent energy. There is, however, a spark that, if kindled, will set the whole being afire, and he will become a human dynamo, capable of accomplishing almost anything to which he aspires.” – James Cash Penney
29. “The disciplined are free.” – James Cash Penney
30th JC Penney Quote: “Theory is splendid but until put into practice, it is valueless.” – James Cash Penney
31. “The friendly smile, the word of greeting, are certainly something fleeting and seemingly insubstantial. You can’t take them with you. But they work for good beyond your power to measure their influence. It is the service we are not obliged to give that people value most.” – James Cash Penney
32. “The best way to stop a bad habit is never to begin it.” – James Cash Penney
33. “No man can climb the ladder of success without first placing his foot on the bottom rung.” – James Cash Penney
34. “Success in business does not depend upon genius. Any young man of ordinary intelligence who is normally sound and not afraid to work should succeed in spite of obstacles and handicaps if he plays the game fairly and keeps everlastingly at it.” – James Cash Penney
35. “I learned that all things come to those who wait-provided they hustle while they wait.” – James Cash Penney
36. “Intelligence is the effort to do the best you can at your particular job; the quality that gives dignity to that job, whether it happens to be scrubbing a floor or running a corporation.” – James Cash Penney
37. “I will have no man work for me who has not the capacity to become a partner.”
38. “Give me a stock clerk with a goal and I’ll give you a man who will make history. Give me a man with no goals and I’ll give you a stock clerk.” – James Cash Penney
39. “Geniuses themselves don’t talk about the gift of genius, they just talk about hard work and long hours.” – James Cash Penney
40th JC Penney Quote: “I would never have amounted to anything were it not for adversity. I was forced to come up the hard way.” – James Cash Penney
41. “Courteous treatment will make a customer a walking advertisement.” – James Cash Penney
42. “The public is not greatly interested in saving a little money on a purchase at the expense of service.” – James Cash Penney
43. “No business can succeed in any great degree without being properly organized.” – James Cash Penney
Which of these James Cash Penney quotes if your favourite? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to share with your friends.
37 Rosa Parks Quotes To Stand Up For Your Freedom
Looking for the best Rosa Parks quotes? This collection of famous Rosa Parks quotes will help you stand up for...
87 Best George Carlin Quotes On Education, Politics & Life
Looking for the best George Carlin quotes? George Carlin was an American stand-up comedian, actor, social critic and author. He...
101 Marianne Williamson Quotes That Will Enlighten You
Looking for the best Marianne Williamson quotes? Marianne Williamson is an American author, spiritual leader, political candidate and activist. She...
Fear-setting: Why you should define your fears instead of your goals
Fear-setting is an exercise that Tim Ferriss swears by. The bestselling author of The 4 Hour Work Week says he...
Top 5 Lessons Learned After She Read 500 Self-Help Books
If you’re looking for inspiration then these days no one is suffering from a shortage of self-help reading material out...