Welcome to our latest collection of George Washington quotes.
George Washington was an American political leader, military general, statesman, and Founding Father who also served as the first president of the United States from 1789 to 1797.
Called the “Father of His Country” for his manifold leadership in the formative days of the new nation, upon his death in 1799, he was eulogized as “first in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen.”
Below I’ve compiled the best George Washington quotes and wise words to inspire you.
George Washington Quotes
1. “99% of failures come from people who make excuses.” – George Washington
2. “It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company.” – George Washington
3. “There is nothing which can better deserve your patronage, than the promotion of science and literature. Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness.” – George Washington
4. “Leave nothing for tomorrow which can be done today.” – George Washington
5. “We should not look back unless it is to derive useful lessons from past errors, and for the purpose of profiting by dearly bought experience.” – George Washington
6. “The harder the conflict, the greater the triumph.” – George Washington
7. “Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all.” – George Washington
8. It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one. – George Washington
9. “Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth.” – George Washington
10. “The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it.” – George Washington
11. “Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.” – George Washington
12. “Happiness and moral duty are inseparably connected.” – George Washington
13. “Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.” – George Washington
14. “A slender acquaintance with the world must convince every man that actions, not words, are the true criterion of the attachment of friends.” – George Washington
15. “True friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity, before it is entitled to the appellation.” – George Washington
16. “If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.” – George Washington
17. “Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable; procures success to the weak, and esteem to all.” – George Washington
18. “I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.” – George Washington
19. “Nothing can be more hurtful to the service, than the neglect of discipline; for that discipline, more than numbers, gives one army the superiority over another.” – George Washington
20. “Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light.” – George Washington
21. “My first wish is to see this plague of mankind, war, banished from the earth.” – George Washington
22. “Worry is the interest paid by those who borrow trouble.” – George Washington
23. “Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession.” – George Washington
24. “Perseverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages.” – George Washington
25. “Real men despise battle, but will never run from it.” – George Washington
26. “Be not glad at the misfortune of another, though he may be your enemy.” – George Washington
27. “I’ll die on my feet before I’ll live on my knees!” – George Washington
28. “Religion is as necessary to reason as reason is to religion. The one cannot exist without the other.” – George Washington
29. “Government is not reason and it is not eloquence. It is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.” – George Washington
30. “It should be the highest ambition of every American to extend his views beyond himself, and to bear in mind that his conduct will not only affect himself, his country, and his immediate posterity; but that its influence may be co-extensive with the world, and stamp political happiness or misery on ages yet unborn.” – George Washington
31. “A good moral character is the first essential in a man, and that the habits contracted at your age are generally indelible, and your conduct here may stamp your character through life. It is therefore highly important that you should endeavor not only to be learned but virtuous.” – George Washington
32. “Honesty will be found on every experiment, to be the best and only true policy. Let us then as a nation be just.” – George Washington
33. “More permanent and genuine happiness is to be found in the sequestered walks of connubial life than in the giddy rounds of promiscuous pleasure.” – George Washington
34. “Nothing is a greater stranger to my breast, or a sin that my soul more abhors, than that black and detestable one, ingratitude.” – George Washington
35. “My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her.” – George Washington
36. “I have always considered marriage as the most interesting event of one’s life, the foundation of happiness or misery.” – George Washington
37. “I hold the maxim no less applicable to public than to private affairs, that honesty is the best policy.” – George Washington
38. “A sensible woman can never be happy with a fool.” – George Washington
39. “To contract new debts is not the way to pay old ones.” – George Washington
40. “Adhere to your purpose and you will soon feel as well as you ever did. On the contrary, if you falter, and give up, you will lose the power of keeping any resolution, and will regret it all your life.” – George Washington
41. “I walk slowly, but I never walk backward.” – George Washington
42. “When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly.” – George Washington
43. “A people who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.” – George Washington
Did you like these inspirational quotes?
What are your favourite George Washington quotes? Let me know in the comments and please share this post to help and inspire others.
47 Inspirational Biggie Smalls Quotes & Lyrics
If you’re looking for the best collection of Biggie Smalls quotes then look no further. These quotes by The Notorious...
65 Magic Johnson Quotes On Life, Success & HIV
Earving Magic Johnson is one of the most inspirational people in history and his incredible quotes will show you why....
77 Peter Thiel Quotes On Startups & Success
If you’re looking for the best collection of Peter Thiel quotes then look no further. Peter Thiel is an American...
95 Best Reid Hoffman Quotes On The Start-Up of You
If you’re looking for the best collection of Reid Hoffman quotes then look no further. Reid Hoffman is an American...
Top 25 Reed Hastings Quotes On Business & Leadership
When it comes to entrepreneurship, leadership and business growth few are as experienced Reed Hastings and his quotes will show...