Charles M. Schwab was an American steel magnate. Under his leadership, Bethlehem Steel became the second largest steel maker in the United States, and one of the most important heavy manufacturers in the world.
Schwab actually began his career working as an engineer in Andrew Carnegi‘s steelworks. He was promoted often and at the age of only 35 became president of the Carnegie Steel Company. He later went on to become the first president of the U.S Steel Corporation.
His innovative ways of dealing with his staff are given a mention by Dale Carnegie in his famous book, How to Win Friends and Influence People. He was also mentioned in Think And Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.
The collection of Charles M. Schwab quotes below offer great wisdom for any entrepreneur. Check them out now and let me know your favourite in the comments below.
47 Charles M. Schwab Quotes
1. “A man, to carry on a successful business, must have imagination. He must see things as in a vision, a dream of the whole thing. A man can cultivate this faculty only by an appreciation of the finer things in life.” – Charles M. Schwab
2. “The hardest struggle of all is to be something different from what the average man is. I don’t believe in ‘super-men,’ for the world is full of capable men, but it’s the fellow with determination that wins out.” – Charles M. Schwab
3. “To my mind, the best investment a young man starting out in business can possibly make is to give all his time, all his energies, to work – just plain, hard work.” – Charles M. Schwab
4. “The captains of industry do not keep on working for the sake of making money, but for the love of completing a job successfully.” – Charles M. Schwab
5. “There is no royal road to a successful life, as there is no royal road to learning. It has got to be hard knocks, morning, noon, and night, and fixity of purpose.” – Charles M. Schwab
6. “Bare hands grip success better than kid gloves. Be thorough in all things, no matter how small or distasteful! The man who counts his hours and kicks about his salary is a self-elected failure.” – Charles M. Schwab
7. “A man will succeed in anything about which he has real enthusiasm, in which he is genuinely interested, provided that he will take more thought about his job than the men working with him. The fellow who sits still and does what he is told will never be told to do big things.” – Charles M. Schwab
8. “Set out with some definite purpose in life and accomplish that purpose. There is little that the human mind can conceive that is not possible of accomplishment. The thing to do is to make up your mind what you are going to drive for, and let nothing stand in the way of its ultimate accomplishment.” – Charles M. Schwab
9. “When a man has put a limit on what he will do, he has put a limit on what he can do.” – Charles M. Schwab
10. “The men who miss success have two general alibis: ‘I’m not a genius’ is one; the other, ‘There aren’t the opportunities today there used to be.’ Neither excuse holds. The first is beside the point; the second is altogether wrong.” – Charles M. Schwab
11. “I disagreed with Carnegie’s ideas on how to best to distribute his wealth. I spent mine! Spending creates more wealth for everybody.” – Charles M. Schwab
12. “Any man who goes into anything in life and does it better than the average will have a successful life. If he does it worse than the average, his life will not be successful. And no business can exist in which success cannot be won on that basis.” – Charles M. Schwab
13. “You can make up your mind to do one of two things: You can have a good time in life, or you can have a successful life, but you can’t have both. You have got to make up your mind at the start which of the two you are going to have.” – Charles M. Schwab
14. “Lead the life that will make you kindly and friendly to everyone about you, and you will be surprised what a happy life you will lead.” – Charles M. Schwab
15. “When I first went to work… I had over me an impetuous, hustling man. It was necessary for me to be up to the top notch to give satisfaction. I worked faster than I otherwise would have done, and to him I attribute the impetus that I acquired.” – Charles M. Schwab
16. “Many men fail because they do not see the importance of being kind and courteous to the men under them. Kindness to everybody always pays for itself. And, besides, it is a pleasure to be kind.” – Charles M. Schwab
17. “When you start in life, if you find you are wrongly placed, don’t hesitate to change, but don’t change because troubles come up and difficulties arise. You must meet and overcome and conquer them. And in meeting and overcoming and conquering them, you will make yourself stronger for the future.” – Charles M. Schwab
18. “I consider my ability to arouse enthusiasm among men the greatest asset I possess. The way to develop the best that is in a man is by appreciation and encouragement.” – Charles M. Schwab
19. “A man who trims himself to suit everybody will soon whittle himself away.” – Charles M. Schwab
20. “Men make opportunity. Every great industrial achievement has been the result of individual effort – the practical development of a dream in the mind of an individual.” – Charles M. Schwab
21. “The real test of business greatness is in giving opportunity to others. Many business men fail in this because they are thinking only of personal glory.” – Charles M. Schwab
22. “Most talk about ‘super-geniuses’ is nonsense. I have found that when ‘stars’ drop out, successors are usually at hand to fill their places, and the successors are merely men who have learned by application and self-discipline to get full production from an average, normal brain.” – Charles M. Schwab
23. “The first essential in a boy’s career is to find out what he’s fitted for, what he’s most capable of doing and doing with a relish.” – Charles M. Schwab
24. “I was once asked if a big business man ever reached his objective. I replied that if a man ever reached his objective he was not a big business man.” – Charles M. Schwab
25. “If I were asked to say the most important things that lead to a successful life, I should say that, first of all, was integrity – unimpeachable integrity.” – Charles M. Schwab
26. “My own experience is that there is no real effort in life that is not done better under encouragement and approval of our fellow men.” – Charles M. Schwab
27. “Concentrate and think upon the problem in mind until a satisfactory conclusion is reached, and then finally go ahead. If you have made a mistake, all right. Never find fault with a man because he has made a mistake. It is only a fool that makes the same mistake the second time.” – Charles M. Schwab
28. “The difference between getting somewhere and nowhere is the courage to make an early start. The fellow who sits still and does just what he is told will never be told to do big things.” – Charles M. Schwab
29. “Good morning! Remember: A person can succeed at almost anything for which they have unlimited enthusiasm.” – Charles M. Schwab
30. “I have yet to hear an instance where misfortune hit a man because he worked overtime. I know lots of instances where it hit men who did not.” – Charles M. Schwab
31. “Be friends with everybody. When you have friends you will know there is somebody who will stand by you. You know the old saying, that if you have a single enemy you will find him everywhere. It doesn’t pay to make enemies. Lead the life that will make you kindly and friendly to every one about you, and you will be surprised what a happy life you will live.” – Charles M. Schwab
32. “If more persons would get so enthused over their day’s work that some one would have to remind them to go out to lunch there would be more happiness in the world and less indigestion.” – Charles M. Schwab
33. “You can never really get away – you can only take yourself somewhere else.” – Charles M. Schwab
34. “Work hard. Hard work is the best investment a man can make.” – Charles M. Schwab
35. “The man who has done his best has done everything. The man who has done less than his best has done nothing.” – Charles M. Schwab
36. “Don’t be reluctant about putting on overalls!” – Charles M. Schwab
37. “I am sure that few successful men are so-called ‘natural geniuses.'” – Charles M. Schwab
38. “Every one’s got it in him, if he’ll only make up his mind and stick at it. None of us is born with a stop-valve on his powers or with a set limit to his capacities, There’s no limit possible to the expansion of each one of us.” – Charles M. Schwab
39. “In my own house I rigged up a laboratory and studied chemistry in the evenings, determined that there should be nothing in the manufacture of steel that I would not know. Although I had received no technical education I made myself master of chemistry and of the laboratory, which proved of lasting value.” – Charles M. Schwab
40. “The man who fails to give fair service during the hours for which he is paid is dishonest. The man who is not willing to give more than this is foolish.” – Charles M. Schwab
41. “I thought and dreamed of nothing else but the steel works.” – Charles M. Schwab
42. “If you must be a glutton, be a glutton for work.” – Charles M. Schwab
43. “Nothing is more fatal to success than taking one’s job as a matter of course.” – Charles M. Schwab
44. “The man who does not work for the love of work but only for money is not likely to make money nor find much fun in life.” – Charles M. Schwab
45. “We are all salesmen every day of our lives. We are selling our ideas, our plans, our enthusiasms to those with whom we come in contact.” – Charles M. Schwab
46. “The best place to succeed is where you are with what you have.” – Charles M. Schwab
47. “I have yet to find a man, whatever his situation in life, who did not do better work and put forth greater effort under a spirit of approval than he ever would do under a spirit of criticism.” – Charles M. Schwab
Did you find these Charles M. Schwab Quotes inspiring?
If you liked these Charles M. Schwab quotes then please share this post to help and inspire others.
67 Benjamin Disraeli Quotes To Be Successful
If you’re looking for the best Benjamin Disraeli Quotes then look no further. Benjamin Disraeli was a British politician of...
55 Famous R. Buckminster Fuller Quotes
Looking for the best R. Buckminster Fuller quotes? Then look no further. Richard Buckminster Fuller was an American architect, systems...
40 Alfred Adler Quotes That Will Make You Reflect
If you’re looking for the best Alfred Adler quotes then look no further. Alfred Adler was an Austrian medical doctor,...
55 Best The Wolf Of Wall Street Quotes
Looking for the best quotes from The Wolf of Wall Street? Then look no further. The Wolf of Wall Street...
67 Famous Theodore Roosevelt Quotes
If you’re looking for the best Theodore Roosevelt quotes then look no further. Theodore Roosevelt is remembered as one of...