Mahatma Gandhi’s words of wisdom, filled with heart continue to inspire countless millions across the globe and these are the most inspiring Mahatma Gandhi quotes of them all.
Revered the world over as one of history’s most transformative and inspirational figures, Gandhi was a fearless campaigner for the rights and dignity of all people. His unwavering promotion of using non-violence as a tool to win over hearts and minds ultimately left his mark on the world.
Born Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi in Porbandar, India in 1869 — he was later nicknamed “Mahatma,” for “great soul” — the leader known for his calm, compassion and courage in the face of oppression wasn’t always that way.
For much of his life he actually suffered with a fear of public speaking. His glossophobia, as its known, was so severe he actually froze and fled from the courtroom in a panic when facing the judge for his first court case as a young lawyer.
Gandhi was not only able to overcome his fear but also turned it into an advantage. He became a very compassionate listener and his unease with words taught him the power of saying more with less. As you’ll see from these Mahatma Gandhi quotes those words still inspire and empower millions today.
63 Most Inspiring Mahatma Gandhi Quotes
1. “You yourself as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.” – Mahatma Gandhi
2. “In a gentle way, you can shake the world.” – Mahatma Gandhi
3. “A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks he becomes.” – Mahatma Gandhi
4. “Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.” – Mahatma Gandhi
5. “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” – Mahatma Gandhi
6. “Our greatest ability as humans is not to change the world; but to change ourselves.” – Mahatma Gandhi
7. “Nobody can hurt me without my permission.” – Mahatma Gandhi
8. “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong.” – Mahatma Gandhi
9. “An ounce of practice is worth a thousand words.” – Mahatma Gandhi
10. “I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.” – Mahatma Gandhi
11. “A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.” – Mahatma Gandhi
12. “If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.” – Mahatma Gandhi
13. “Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.” – Mahatma Gandhi
14. “Service which is rendered without joy helps neither the servant nor the served.” – Mahatma Gandhi
15. “Be congruent, be authentic, be your true self.” – Mahatma Gandhi
16. “If you want real peace in the world, start with children.” – Mahatma Gandhi
17. “Hate the sin, love the sinner.” – Mahatma Gandhi
18. “The good man is the friend of all living things.” – Mahatma Gandhi
19. “Whenever you are confronted with an opponent, conquer him with love.” – Mahatma Gandhi
20. “The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will know peace.” – Mahatma Gandhi
21. “The future depends on what you do today.” – Mahatma Gandhi
22. “To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.” – Mahatma Gandhi
23. “Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s needs, but not every man’s greed.” – Mahatma Gandhi
24. “Glory lies in the attempt to reach one’s goal and not in reaching it.” – Mahatma Gandhi
25. “You don’t know who is important to you until you actually lose them.” – Mahatma Gandhi
26. “I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.” – Mahatma Gandhi
27. “You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results.” – Mahatma Gandhi
28. “I cannot conceive of a greater loss than the loss of one’s self-respect.” – Mahatma Gandhi
29. “You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.” – Mahatma Gandhi
30. “It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.” – Mahatma Gandhi
31. “My life is my message.” – Mahatma Gandhi
32. “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” – Mahatma Gandhi
33. “Fear has its use but cowardice has none.” – Mahatma Gandhi
34. “Power is of two kinds. One is obtained by the fear of punishment and the other by acts of love. Power based on love is a thousand times more effective and permanent then the one derived from fear of punishment.” – Mahatma Gandhi
35. “He is lost who is possessed by carnal desire.” – Mahatma Gandhi
36. “Whatever you do may seem insignificant to you, but it is most important that you do it.” – Mahatma Gandhi
37. “The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.” – Mahatma Gandhi
38. “I look only to the good qualities of men. Not being faultless myself, I won’t presume to probe into the faults of others.” – Mahatma Gandhi
39. “Action expresses priorities.” – Mahatma Gandhi
40. “Capital as such is not evil; it is its wrong use that is evil. Capital in some form or other will always be needed.” – Mahatma Gandhi
41. “When you are right, you have no need to be angry. When you are wrong, you have no right to be angry.” – Mahatma Gandhi
42. “You can’t change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.” – Mahatma Gandhi
43. “To lose patience is to lose the battle.” – Mahatma Gandhi
44. “Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.” – Mahatma Gandhi
45. “Without action, you aren’t going anywhere.” – Mahatma Gandhi
46. “Carefully watch your thoughts, for they become your words. Manage and watch your words, for they will become your actions. Consider and judge your actions, for they become your habits. Acknowledge and watch your habits, for they shall become your values. Understand and embrace your values, for they become your destiny.” – Mahatma Gandhi
47. “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment.” – Mahatma Gandhi
48. “It’s easy to stand in the crowd but it takes courage to stand alone.” – Mahatma Gandhi
49. “What barrier is there that love cannot break?” – Mahatma Gandhi
50. “The enemy is fear. We think it is hate; but, it is fear.” – Mahatma Gandhi
51. “Find purpose. The means will follow.” – Mahatma Gandhi
52. “Full effort is full victory.” – Mahatma Gandhi
53. “There are two days in the year that we can not do anything – yesterday and tomorrow.” – Mahatma Gandhi
54. “If you take care of your immediate surroundings, the universe will take care of itself.” – Mahatma Gandhi
55. “Forgiveness is choosing to love. It is the first skill of self-giving love.” – Mahatma Gandhi
56. “A wise parent allows the children to make mistakes. It is good for them once in a while to burn their fingers.” – Mahatma Gandhi
57. “Man will ever remain imperfect, and it will always be his part to try to be perfect.” – Mahatma Gandhi
58. “Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it.” – Mahatma Gandhi
59. “Change yourself – you are in control.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Fake Gandhi Quotes?
Did you know the following famous Gandhi quotes are questionably not his real quotes?
60. “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” – Mahatma Gandhi
61. “Be the change that you want to see in the world.” – Mahatma Gandhi
62. “An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.” – Mahatma Gandhi
63. “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Did you find these Mahatma Gandhi Quotes inspiring?
Which Mahatma Gandhi quote is your favourite? Let me know in the comments and please share this post to help and inspire others.