If you’re looking for the best collection of Brian Chesky quotes then look no further.
Brian Chesky is the co-founder and CEO of Airbnb. He was named one of Time’s “100 Most Influential People of 2015” and was also recognized on the Forbes list of America’s Richest Entrepreneurs Under 40.
What I admire about Brian Chesky is that he comes off as authentic, caring and passionate about his mission. He seems to have a great level of self-awareness and is a rather charismatic leader.
Today, Airbnb is the world’s largest accommodation provider that owns no real estate and as of 2020, Brian Chesky has an estimated net worth of $4.2 billion.
Below you’ll find the best collection of Brian Chesky quotes on entrepreneurship, startups, culture, leadership and success.
Inspirational Brian Chesky Quotes
1. “Never assume you can’t do something. Push yourself to redefine the boundaries.” – Brian Chesky
2. “I think we go through our lives limiting our potential, and when times are tough, it’s easy to convince ourselves that something isn’t possible, but if you start there, then you limit yourself and the possibilities of what you can create.” – Brian Chesky
3. “As children, we have vivid imaginations. We stay up late waiting for Santa Claus, dream of becoming president, and have ideas that defy physics. Then something happens. As we grow older, we start editing our imagination.” – Brian Chesky
4. “Think of the imagination as a giant stone from which we carve out new ideas. As we chip away, our new ideas become more polished and refined. But if you start by editing your imagination, you start with a tiny stone.” – Brian Chesky
5. “In June 2010, I moved out of my apartment and I have been mostly homeless ever since, off and on. I just live in Airbnb apartments and I check in every week in different homes in San Francisco.” – Brian Chesky
6. “The American dream, what we were taught was, grow up, own a car, own a house. I think that dream’s completely changing. We were taught to keep up with the Joneses. Now we’re sharing with the Joneses.” – Brian Chesky
7. “Belonging has always been a fundamental driver of humankind.” – Brian Chesky
8. “Our perception of time is really driven by our perception of the unfamiliar, vivid, and new.” – Brian Chesky
9. “The people with the passports, the people who travel more, tend to be the most understanding. And it’s ironic that the people who travel the least have the strongest opinions about the people they’ve never met.” – Brian Chesky
10. “The stuff that matters in life is no longer stuff. It’s other people. It’s relationships. It’s experience.” – Brian Chesky
11. “Repetition doesn’t create memories. New experiences do.” – Brian Chesky
12. “Travel is a new experience that can transport you out of your everyday routine to create memories with the ones you love.” – Brian Chesky
13. “Every day I would wake up and think, ‘Today is another missed opportunity to do something important.’ After enough days like this, you start feeling like you are getting old, even when you are relatively young. We are all natural entrepreneurs, and being manacled to a desk job is not for us.” – Brian Chesky
14. “Everyone’s got a moment or two in their life where something happens and you make a decision and then your entire life changes.” – Brian Chesky
15. “My life is longer because of the journeys I have taken.” – Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky Quotes For Entrepreneurs & Startups
16. “AirBnB was never meant to be the big idea. It was meant to be the thing that paid the rent so we could think of the big idea.” – Brian Chesky
17. “In summer of 2008, I meet a guy named Michael Seibel. And Michael Seibel says, ‘There are these people called angels, and they’ll give you money.’ The first thing I thought is, ‘I can’t believe this guy believes in angels.’ That’s how naive I was.” – Brian Chesky
18. “AirBnB launched and a year after we launched, I think we had 100 people/day visiting our website and we had like 2 bookings.” – Brian Chesky
19. “In the year 2008, we made $5K from our website and we made $40K selling breakfast cereal.” – Brian Chesky
20. “Our overnight success took 1,000 days.” – Brian Chesky
21. “We believe constraints bring out creativity. When you raise like $800M, suddenly all that scrappiness… it’s easy to lose.” – Brian Chesky
22. “Build something 100 people love, not something 1 million people kind of like.”- Brian Chesky
23. “When you start a company, it’s more an art than a science because it’s totally unknown. Instead of solving high-profile problems, try to solve something that’s deeply personal to you. Ideally, if you’re an ordinary person and you’ve just solved your problem, you might have solved the problem for millions of people.” – Brian Chesky
24. “Whatever the press is talking about, they want to keep talking about it. So instead of asking yourself, ‘How can I get them to start talking about me?’, figure out a way to get yourself involved in what they’re already talking about.” – Brian Chesky
25. “Customers are willing to try new things, and if you can survive, you will have fewer competitors. It’s like entering the eye of the storm. As long as you are strong enough to survive, you can end up in still water by yourself.” – Brian Chesky
26. “If you want to create a great product, just focus on one person. Make that one person have the most amazing experience ever.” – Brian Chesky
27. “Unless you have fixed costs, you don’t need any capital to create a prototype. Ideally, your co-founders, with sweat equity, can create the product themselves.” – Brian Chesky
28. “At some point you go from building the product, to phase 2, which is building the company, that builds the product.” – Brian Chesky
29. “It doesn’t matter how great your original product or idea is, if you can’t build a great company, then your product will not endure.” – Brian Chesky
30. “The best way to become an entrepreneur is to just to become an entrepreneur…just start…the best preparation for creating a company is creating a company. If you can’t create a company create a club or create a product or create something.” – Brian Chesky
31. “We start with the perfect experience and then work backward. That’s how we’re going to continue to be successful.” – Brian Chesky
32. “It’s better to have 100 people love you than to have 1,000,000 people like you.” – Brian Chesky
33. “Do things that won’t scale; it will teach you.” – Brian Chesky
34. “Whatever career you’re in, assume it’s going to be a massive failure. That way, you’re not making decisions based on success, money and career. You’re only making it based on doing what you love.” – Brian Chesky
35. “Designers and artists see potential in things where others do not. I think artists in many ways are the original entrepreneurs.” – Brian Chesky
36. “We need to have mentors. I think I’ve always been pretty shameless about seeking out people much smarter and much more experienced than me from the very beginning. The more successful I got, the more leaders I started seeking out, whether it was investors, or Sheryl Sandberg at Facebook, or I got the opportunity to spend time with Warren Buffett and he became a close mentor of mine. Somebody once said, ‘You’re the average of the five people you surround yourself with.’ So the question is, how mature are the people you surround yourself with? If you surround yourself with the right people, you can grow up pretty quickly.” – Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky Quotes On Culture & Leadership
37. “Culture is a thousand things, a thousand times. It’s living the core values when you hire; when you write an email; when you are working on a project; when you are walking in the hall.” – Brian Chesky
38. “Culture is simply a shared way of doing something with passion.” – Brian Chesky
39. “The culture is what creates the foundation for all future innovation. If you break the culture, you break the machine that creates your products.” – Brian Chesky
40. “No matter how certain I am about some culture or some group of people, my opinions are only as accurate as the amount of time I’ve spent with them.” – Brian Chesky
41. “I interviewed the first 300 employees at AirBnB.” – Brian Chesky
42. “There is a job and then there is a calling. We want to hire people that aren’t just looking for jobs, they’re looking for a calling.” – Brian Chesky
43. “Culture makes you hire people slowly and makes you deliberate about decisions that in the near term, can slow progress.” – Brian Chesky
44. “This is a functional question. If you could hire anybody in the world, would you hire the person sitting across from you.” – Brian Chesky
45. “Every single person is meant to hire a person better than the previous people. You’re constantly raising the bar.” – Brian Chesky
46. “You gotta build a team that is so talented that they almost make you slightly uncomfortable… because they know by being with them you’re going to have to raise your game to be with them.” – Brian Chesky
47. “Companies that hire employees..that are deeply passionate create companies that customers are really really passionate about, and those are the companies that have strong brands.” – Brian Chesky
48. “The biggest problem with culture is that it doesn’t pay off in the short term.” – Brian Chesky
49. “Somebody asked me ‘what’s the job of a CEO’, and there’s a number of things a CEO does. What you mostly do is articulate the vision, develop the strategy, and you gotta hire people to fit the culture. If you do those three things, you basically have a company. And that company will hopefully be successful, if you have the right vision, the right strategy, and good people.” – Brian Chesky
50. “Your brand evangelists are your employees.” – Brian Chesky
51. “Brand is really the connection between you and your customers. If you have a very strong culture, then the brand will come through.” – Brian Chesky
52. “Culture is so incredibly important because it is the foundation for all future innovation. People with passion can change the world.” – Brian Chesky
53. “A company’s culture is the foundation for future innovation. An entrepreneurs job is to build the foundation.” – Brian Chesky
54. “People went to Dell for the computers, but they go to Apple for everything… That’s the difference between a transactional company and a transformational one.” – Brian Chesky
55. “Having a clear mission and making sure you know that mission and making sure that mission comes through the company is probably the most important thing you can do for both culture and values.” – Brian Chesky
56. “The stronger the culture, the less corporate process a company needs. When the culture is strong, you can trust everyone to do the right thing. People can be independent and autonomous. They can be entrepreneurial.” – Brian Chesky
57. “There’s no such thing as a good or bad culture, it’s either a strong or weak culture. And a good culture for somebody else may not be a good culture for you.” – Brian Chesky
Airbnb Startup Story
This is one of my favorite interviews with Airbnb co-founder Brian Chesky and LinkedIn co-founder Reid Hoffman. It’s an incredibly inspirational startup story of the obstacles he overcame to launch Airbnb.
Did you like these inspirational quotes?
What are your favorite Brian Chesky quotes? Let me know in the comments below and please share this post.
77 Peter Thiel Quotes On Startups & Success
If you’re looking for the best collection of Peter Thiel quotes then look no further. Peter Thiel is an American...
95 Best Reid Hoffman Quotes On The Start-Up of You
If you’re looking for the best collection of Reid Hoffman quotes then look no further. Reid Hoffman is an American...
Top 25 Reed Hastings Quotes On Business & Leadership
When it comes to entrepreneurship, leadership and business growth few are as experienced Reed Hastings and his quotes will show...
55 Travis Kalanick Quotes For Entrepreneur Success
If you’re looking for the best collection of Travis Kalanick quotes then look no further. Travis Kalanick is an American...
57 Brian Chesky Quotes On Culture, Startups & Success
If you’re looking for the best collection of Brian Chesky quotes then look no further. Brian Chesky is the co-founder...