Little is truly known about the Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu (also known as Laozi). He is best known as the reputed author of the Tao Te Ching and the philosophical founder of Taoism and is also revered as a deity in religious Taoism and traditional Chinese religions.
Stories about Lao Tzu and the Tao Te Ching itself passed down through different Chinese philosophical schools for over two thousand years.
Here are 25 of most inspiring Lao Tzu quotes that will expand your thinking and motivate you. If you like them be sure to like and share this post so that others can be inspired too!
Lao Tzu Quotes
1. “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”
2. “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
3. “Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them – that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.”
4. “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.”
5. “I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures.”
6. “A good traveller has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.”
7. “When you are content to be simply yourself and don’t compare or compete, everybody will respect you.”
8. “Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power.”
9. “Treat those who are good with goodness, and also treat those who are not good with goodness. Thus goodness is attained. Be honest to those who are honest, and be also honest to those who are not honest. Thus honesty is attained.”
10. “Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment.”
11. “Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.”
12. “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.”
13. “Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.”
14. “Those who have knowledge, don’t predict. Those who predict, don’t have knowledge.”
15. “Health is the greatest possession. Contentment is the greatest treasure. Confidence is the greatest friend. Non-being is the greatest joy.”
16. “Manifest plainness, embrace simplicity, reduce selfishness, have few desires.”
17. “Great acts are made up of small deeds.”
18. “All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small.”
19. “If you would take, you must first give, this is the beginning of intelligence.”
20. “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
21. “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”
22. “Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habit.”
23. “If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”
24. “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
25. “Your own positive future begins in this moment. All you have is right here. Every goal is possible from here.”
What are your favourite Lao Tzu quotes? Let me know in the comments below.