Little is truly known about the Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu (also known as Laozi). He is best known as the reputed author of the Tao Te Ching and the philosophical founder of Taoism and is also revered as a deity in religious Taoism and traditional Chinese religions.
Stories about Lao Tzu and the Tao Te Ching itself passed down through different Chinese philosophical schools for over two thousand years.
Here are 25 of most inspiring Lao Tzu quotes that will expand your thinking and motivate you. If you like them be sure to like and share this post so that others can be inspired too!
Lao Tzu Quotes
1. “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.” – Lao Tzu
2. “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” – Lao Tzu
3. “Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them – that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” – Lao Tzu
4. “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” – Lao Tzu
5. “I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures.” – Lao Tzu
6. “A good traveller has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu
7. “When you are content to be simply yourself and don’t compare or compete, everybody will respect you.” – Lao Tzu
8. “Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power.” – Lao Tzu
9. “Treat those who are good with goodness, and also treat those who are not good with goodness. Thus goodness is attained. Be honest to those who are honest, and be also honest to those who are not honest. Thus honesty is attained.” – Lao Tzu
10. “Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment.” – Lao Tzu
11. “Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.” – Lao Tzu
12. “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” – Lao Tzu
13. “Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.” – Lao Tzu
14. “Those who have knowledge, don’t predict. Those who predict, don’t have knowledge.” – Lao Tzu
15. “Health is the greatest possession. Contentment is the greatest treasure. Confidence is the greatest friend. Non-being is the greatest joy.” – Lao Tzu
16. “Manifest plainness, embrace simplicity, reduce selfishness, have few desires.” – Lao Tzu
17. “Great acts are made up of small deeds.” – Lao Tzu
18. “All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small.” – Lao Tzu
19. “If you would take, you must first give, this is the beginning of intelligence.” – Lao Tzu
20. “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.” – Lao Tzu
21. “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” – Lao Tzu
22. “Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habit.” – Lao Tzu
23. “If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.” – Lao Tzu
24. “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.” – Lao Tzu
25. “Your own positive future begins in this moment. All you have is right here. Every goal is possible from here.” – Lao Tzu
What are your favourite Lao Tzu quotes? Let me know in the comments below.